Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Ford GT



I have to admit a certain conceit that I harbor regarding domestic automobiles. I associate the domestic brands, e.g., Ford, Chrysler, Chevrolet, with a considerable amount of BO, a predilection for grunting and trailer homes. This generalization is obviously not valid in each case and is a preconceived and erroneous notion on my part.

Admittedly, the traditional distinction between domestic and foreign automobile manufacturers is grayed now to the point of indistinguishability, however, I digress. The point is that I generally prefer those supercars manufactured by makers centered outside of this country, e.g., Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini. Let me say now that the Ford GT is a big exception to this idea.


In the Steve McQueen era of car racing, these monsters of cast iron were powered by beasts of carburetor clad engines. There was little concern for efficiency or emissions and a focus on propelling these steel-skinned guided missiles as fast as possible around an oval track. The Ford GT-40 excelled at just that. Beating out many of the more regal makes to establish itself as the dominant male of the pack.

Why all this reminiscing? Ford just happened to resurrect the model in the recent past. With my occasional Road & Track or Automobile magazine, I have kept up with how it compares to the 360 Modena or 560 Maranello. Even how it compares to other domestics, like the Dodge Viper or Chevy Corvette. The articles were always complimentary, but conceded the overall victory to another vehicle.




So why the post? I live in Dallas where there is no lack of excess wealth for the upper 1% of the population. I see Vipers, Corvettes, Porsches, even Ferraris on a regular basis. I saw a Ford GT for the first time in real life this week. Wow! I actually wasn't sure what I was looking at, at first. Was this the new Ferrari; or an independent that makes the rare supercar? As it turned and I saw the front 3/4 view, my jaw dropped. So that is the Ford GT.



Well, I probably won't ever be able to afford anything more than my VW, but if I had some extra money laying around . . . I might just buy a Ford GT

1 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

I think your generalization is valid as a generalization. Of course there will be exceptions, but that doesn't necessarily affect the rule.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home